Rugby Drill Demonstration
- Using cones, mark out a grid - around 10 meters by 10 meters. Change this to match your players abilities, and your own training goals.
- Divide your players into groups of 4, and allocate two groups of 4 to each training area.
- There should be two players on each cone, and each cone has one ball. The first player on that cone is the ball carrier.
- Tell your players the following......
- The ball carrier will run/carry the ball directly across the grid, offloading it to the player opposite.
- The offload will be different, depending on the coaches call - so you need to listen.
- There will be traffic in the center of the grid, so avoid it.
- Ok - lets get moving, the first call is to pop to the receiver - the pop should be legal!
- Calls include: POP THE BALL, ROLL THE BALL, SET IT DOWN, THROW IT UP, GUT PASS (not too hard).
Don't feel that you have to focus on all of the following coaching points, you may have your own. Select the points that most closely match your overall training and session goals.
- Make the grid smaller, forcing the players to avoid greater traffic while still providing good quality ball.
- Place poles into the grid to create even more traffic.